1997 - Present
Kennebec Valley Community College
Professor of Social Sciences
- Chair, Department of Social Sciences (current)
- Facutly Senate President (past)
- Director, Center for Civic Engagement (past)
- Program Coordinator, Associates of Applied Science in Mental Health (past)
- Program Coordinator, Associates of Liberal Studies (past)
- Click to view my course content website “Kavanaugh’s Vehicle for Content and Curriculum”
- This site contains links to the lesson plans, signature assignments, and other initiatives that I have done at KVCC
- This site is not an OFFICIAL site of KVCC
In this work I have taught extensively in the classroom, over Interactive Television (ITV), through Video Conferencing (ATM), and on the web. I have expert skills in online course development and delivery.
The courses I have taught at KVCC including the following:
- COM 101: Communication in the Workplace
- EDU 219: Psychosocial Needs of Children with Disabilities
- HUM 101: Multicutural Nature of American Society
- MHT 103: Introduction to Social Services Systems
- MHT 110: Interviewing and Counseling
- MHT 114: Incest, Sexual Abuse, and Trauma
- MHT 116: Mental Health and Aging
- MHT 124: Psychosocial Rehabiltation
- MHT 220: Case Management
- MHT 226: Vocational Aspects of Disability
- PSY 101: Introduction to Psychology
- PSY 215: Developmental Psychology
- PSY 220: Behavior Management
- SOC 101: Introduction to Sociology
- SOC 104: The Changing Workplace
- SOC 204: Social Problems
2012 - 2015
The courses I have taught at Ashford University including the following:
- PSY 104: Child and Adolescent Development
- HHS 440: Technology in Health & Human Services
1995 - 2000
Interactive Television Technician | Course Web Coordinator | Instructional Designer | Graphic Designer
This multi-function role supported the development and delivery of distance education through ITV. The primary role was monitoring the control room during live broadcast classes. This entailed operating cameras, cuing microphones, answering the phone for incoming student questions, and managing the graphic presentations.
The ITV Technicians also worked very closely with their associated Faculty to develop and design the distance aspects of their courses.
1997 - 1999
Maine Independent Living Services
Program Director | Coordinator of Deaf Services
Primarily responsible for coordination of state-wide independent living services across disability. I was also the coordinator of all the Deaf Services offices state wide.
While at MILS I was appointed to SILC (State Independent Living Council) and published a nationally distributed newsletter for the agency.
1995 - 1997
Croched Mountain Community Care
Primarily responsible for the delivery of case management services to individuals on the Medicaid Waiver Program (diversion funds for the provision of nursing home level care in the patient's home)
Medical Social Worker
Primarily responsible for the provison of medical social work to various patients receiving home health services.
Developed an expertise in Medicaid, Estate Recovery, referral, and other case management services.
Motivational Services, Inc.
Mental Health Professional
I performed many roles for this agency over several years of service. These include:
- Independent Living Skills Specialist
- Case Manager
- Community Support Worker
- Representative Payee
- Deaf Services Case Manager
- Program Director (Middle Street House and Middle Street Apartments)
- Client Recreational Services Coordinator
- MANDT Trainer
Kennebec Valley Regional Health Associates (KVRHA)
Intensive Case Manager
Primarily responsible for the provision of intensive case management services to individuals living in the community.
- Case Management
- Assessment and referral
- Crisis Intervention
Various other jobs and roles I have had…
- "Roadie" for Stevie Ray Vaughn
- Farm Labor
- Retail (grocery, Dunkin Donuts, Dominos Pizza)
- Work Study Positions
- Chemistry Lab Assisstant
- Student Center Staff
- Rat Lab Assistant